When you think about waterproofing your basement, you should also think about your basement windows.
There are three common issues with basement windows:
1. Do the windows leak water? If yes, we need to install drains.
2. Are the windows rusted, rotted, drafty or ugly? If yes, replace them.
3. Are the window wells rusty or open? If yes, replace them.
If you basement windows leak when it rains, it’s most likely due to the following four reasons:
1. The gutters are overflowing into the window wells.
2. The ground around the window is pitched towards your home.
3. A downspout is dumping lots of water near the window.
4. Your basement window is not sealed properly to the frame.
Basement windows can be small, old, ugly and often times overlooked when homeowners have a problem with their basement. Most basement windows do not seal very well. Since the basement has low air pressure (sucking air in), the cold winter air and hot humid air summertime air is pulled into your basement. This is a no-win situation. Either way, it costs more to heat, cool or dehumidifies your basement.
Basement windows have a tough job–they’re down close to the ground or in a window well, both damp environments. Metal-framed windows will rust, wood windows will deteriorate/rot, and they are impossible to keep painted. In addition to the fact that they leak air, single pane glass is an energy waster.
A flooding window will ruin your basement, especially if your basement is finished. Your basement windows are not made for submarines. Besides correcting the obvious–gutters, downspouts, if you don’t have the windows replaced, they will likely leak again.
If your basement windows are rusty, rotting, leaking or need a general update, Tar Heel Basement Systems can help dramatically improve your basement. By updating your basement windows, this will help with humidity levels and (some) moisture intrusion. Tar Heel Basement Systems can help you achieve the perfect basement window: energy efficient and mildew-resistant. Call our office to schedule your free estimate appointment.