Home Mold Problems and Prevention in North Carolina and Virginia
Information on Controlling Mold and Rot Problems in NC and VA
In a relatively small amount of time, they can damage your home, personal property, and even your respiratory health.
Tar Heel Basement Systems offers free mold & dust mite control estimates in Lexington, Winston Salem, High Point, Greensboro, Asheboro, Burlington, Kernersville, Thomasville, Mt. Airy, Reidsville, and towns nearby. Just contact us today to get started on a healthier home.
Problems Associated with Humidity:
(Click for more information)
We help find our neighbors and customers easy solutions for mold, dust mite, rot, and humidity problems in the home.
Our warrantied products help you seal a basement or crawl space from the earth’s humidity, and our ENERGY STAR® rated dehumidifiers keep your home dry and healthy.
Mold spores are present nearly everywhere, growing when they meet sufficient temperature, moisture, and organic material to grow.
50% of homes have at least one resident with allergies, the American Lung Association showing that 88 million Americans suffering from some sort of respiratory distress. 90% of people with allergies show sensitivity to mold spores.
Dust mites are microscopic arachnids that live in your home, most often in carpeting, sofas, pillows, and other cushioned furniture.
Dust mites create allergenic fecal material, which they release into the air as much as 20 times a day. Dust mites live in humid areas, absorbing moisture directly from the air.
Black Mold is a highly toxic mold that is rare but dangerous when it grows in the home.
Black mold spores host a fungus that produces carcinogenic “mycotoxins” that are linked to ailments such as liver cancer, lung cancer, chronic liver damage, acute or chronic nervous system damage, endocrine problems, and others.
Mold and rot can begin to form in damp wood in as little as 24-48 hours.
If allowed to damage wood unchecked, rot, mold, and dry rot can lead to many thousands of dollars worth of damage to a home. In the case of dry rot, a 75% loss of toughness can be caused by a 1% weight loss. Rot and mold in wood should be addressed as soon as possible.
Health Facts About Mold & Dust Mites
- Mold & Dust Mites Eat Organic Materials: Organic materials made of natural components are attractive to mold and dust mite damage. That includes items like dust, fabric, fiberglass resins and dyes, drywall, glue, wood. Plus, 1,000 dust mites can live in one gram of dust, with each mite creating 20 pieces of waste a day.
- Cold Mold: Ever find something moldy in your fridge? As long as the temperature is above 40 °F (4 °C), mold can thrive and multiply.
- Fast Multipliers: Mold can start to grow in as few as 24-48 hours, with a billion mold spores growing on one foot of drywall.
- Mold Leads To Insurance Woes: Because of thousands of mold-related lawsuits most general liability and property insurance companies exclude mold insurance from their policies.
- Mold Can Destroy a Home: Professional Builder Magazine warns that mold can dramatically lower the value of your home. Mold can even lead to structural damage to your home!
- Mold Spores and Your Health: You can inhale, ingest and be exposed to mold spores even through your skin. Mold and dust mite waste are both connected to allergies, asthma, and other breathing problems and even dead spores can affect your health.
- Dust Mite Waste Is Highly Allergenic: 90% of patients show dermal reactivity to dust mite waste and 10% of the general population is also sensitive. Dust mite waste makes up 80-90% of the allergic component of house dust, containing 15 potent allergens that sensitize and trigger allergic reactions. In fact, American Family Physician states that “controlling dust mites is the most important thing you can do in your house to make your asthma and allergies better.”
- Mold & Dust Mites Are Sneaky: Mold can grow in fiberglass insulation, behind drywall panels, and behind wallpaper. Dust mites can live in furniture, cloth, and pillows. Just because you don’t see a problem does not mean that one does not exist.
To Sum It Up: The best way to protect yourself is to prevent a problem before it starts! Glenn Fellman, executive director of the Indoor Air Quality Association states, “If you are reacting to a problem because somebody’s been sick, you’ve waited too long to address indoor air quality.”
Water can also rise directly through the porous concrete of a slab floor.
Carpet or wood installed on the concrete will trap this moisture underneath, resulting in mold and rot. Be sure to seal your floor before installing carpet or organic materials.
Controlling Mold, Rot & Dust Mite in North Carolina and Virginia
Mold, rot and dust mites all need moisture and humidity to survive and multiply. When the humidity levels drop below 60% the spores won’t thrive.
By getting rid of the outside air humidity and installing a dehumidifier, you can protect yourself and your home from mold and dust mite problems.
We have free moisture control quotes which will include an inspection, written cost estimate, and our basement waterproofing & crawl space book just for you. Contact us to get started.