Friday, August 25th, 2017
The National Education Association recently released a report that ranks North Carolina 35th in the nation for teacher pay and is projected to be ranked 43rd in the nation in per-pupil spending. This disheartening news is what lead Tar Heel Basement Systems to select the Educator Warehouse as the focus of its annual school supply drive this year.
Each year, the company and its employees donate hundreds of school supplies to a local nonprofit organization or school in need. After speaking to community members and learning about this lack of funding, THBS decided it was important to help our teachers. According to the WSFCS website, the Educator Warehouse is a collaboration of Forsyth Education Partnership, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Council of PTAs and WS/FCS. At this facility teachers ‘shop’ thousands of donated items for use in their classrooms. Donations come from local businesses, organizations, and individuals.
Tar Heel Basement Systems has proudly donated close to 1000 school supplies each year. The goal is to surpass 1000 items for the Triad teachers and students. The drive is underway so if you are interested in donating to the cause, please drop off school supplies at 2910 Griffith Rd., Winston Salem 27103. Supplies will be delivered to the Educator Warehouse on September 5th.
Everything from gently-used office supplies to new crayons and markers is needed and appreciated. Suggested donations include:
CLASSROOM AND OFFICE SUPPLIES
- Paper—all colors, sizes, and types
- Pens, pencils, crayons, markers, highlighters, dry erase markers
- Scissors, glue, pencil sharpeners and erasers, pencil boxes & pouches
- Kleenex, wet wipes, disposable gloves, and hand sanitizer
- Post-it/sticky notes, composition notebooks, sheet protectors, & pocket folders
- Staplers, tape dispensers, binder clips, tape, glue sticks, rubber bands, organizers, and more!
- Lesson plan idea books, children’s books and novels
- Bulletin board materials, posters, charts & room decor
- Math, Science, Social Studies and Language Arts manipulatives
- Games, puzzles, flash cards and more!