Permanent Solutions For Crawl Space Supports
If you look carefully in this picture, you’ll notice that the wood of the floor joist is beginning to show signs of severe damage due to failing crawl space supports.
As these supports begin to give way, the floors above can sag and interior walls may crack, resulting in expensive problems in your home.
Because it’s built directly underneath your home, your crawl space plays a key role in your home’s structural integrity. Crawl spaces bear this weight through the foundation walls and crawl space support columns.
However, many crawl spaces are designed with a support system that is either inadequate, rotting, or has soils underneath the support posts that cannot bear the weight of your home.
How Crawl Space Supports Fail
- Sinking Crawl Space Supports — Sometimes, crawl space support pillars are built on soils that are not strong enough to support the weight of your home. Over time, these supports will begin to sink into the soil. As they do, the floor they hold up will sink as well, leading to uneven floors and interior wall cracking.
- Inadequate Structural Design — Sometimes, the contractor who builds a home will improperly space out the support beams that hold up your floor and interior structure. When this happens, the floor may sink in the spans between each support, leading to damage to your home structure.
- Rotting Floor Joists — When crawl spaces are damp, humid, or experience flooding, they become an ideal environment for mold and rot. Termites, carpenter ants, wood-eating beetles, and other damaging insects may also feed on organic materials in the crawl space. As the wood deteriorates, it will no longer be able to support your home, leading to significant structural damage.
- Foundation Failure — The foundation walls themselves can fail in a large number of ways. Most commonly, these walls will be damaged by foundation settling due to poor supporting soils. It’s also very common for the walls to buckle inwards due to pressure from expansive soils outside the home.
In many cases, a failing crawl space structure can be resolved by installing crawl space supports. This is a fast job that can provide permanent, warrantied results. typical installations can be completed in less than two days.
If you have a structural issue with your foundation, it’s important to contact a foundation specialist right away. At Tar Heel Basement Systems, we specialize in crawl space repairs of all types. If you’re experiencing a structural problem with your crawl space, we have a solution for you.
A Crack in Your Foundation Shouldn't Break the BankLearn More About This Promotion
Take advantage of
up to $500 off
any job over $2500*
Crawl Space Support System
The IntelliJack® Crawl Space Stabilizer is an adjustable supplemental support system used for sagging crawl spaces.
It not only provides supplemental support to your failing structure — it can also often lift failing floor joists or beams, restoring them to their original position.
This crawl space support system is unique in that it’s made with strong, corrosion-resistant, galvanized steel. Because your system will not develop rust, it will remain adjustable for years, should you need to perform future adjustments.
The IntelliJack® is available for installation throughout North Carolina and Virginia, including High Point, Lexington, Greensboro, Winston Salem and nearby areas.
- Fast, Year-Round Installation — The IntelliJack™ can be installed year-round, with installations completing in about a day. There’s no waiting time for concrete to cure!
- Strong Crawl Space Support — Our crawl space support system has an allowable load capacity of more than 24,000 pounds per support jack, and is tested and certified to the highest industry standards.
- Versatile Installation — The IntelliJack’s portable size allows it to be installed in even the tightest of crawl spaces.
- Superior Support — Our support jacks do more than merely halt the downward movement of your floor. The IntelliJack may also be adjusted to try to lift the floor above to its original position.
The benefits of our crawl space structural support jacks
To be stable, strong, and level, the floor above a crawl space requires solid mid-span support that’s usually provided by a post-and-beam assembly. Unfortunately, beams are often undersized, and many contractors use wooden posts that can rot, shift and settle. When this happens, floor joists sag and other structural problems occur.
The IntelliJack® system is a foundation repair product that provides a permanent solution to these problems. The IntelliJack® is installed by attached steel support beams to your floor joists and a sturdy base at the floor. Once all posts are installed, they are adjusted to raise your floors to a level position.
The IntelliJack® system can be easily adjusted at any point if your home requires it, ensuring that you have a permanent solution to your problems. The IntelliJack® is also compatible with crawl space encapsulation systems, making it a good choice for homeowners wishing to eliminate moisture problems and improve home energy efficiency, while also solving structural problems.
Why should homeowners choose IntelliJacks?
The bulb of influence, which is an engineering term for how a point load is distributed in soil. This sets us apart from other contractors as we know that a proper footing is critical to any load bearing member of a house. A two foot by two-foot cube is dug at each IntelliJack location and compressed with engineered fill (gravel), this will allow the weight of the home to be properly distributed, providing a lasting solution.
Each steel-column is custom fitted to the exact height needed then connected to the girder. The IntelliJack System is then tightened into place, providing immediate stabilization, lifting the above floors and walls back to level.
When should homeowners use IntelliJacks?
When you want to accomplish the following:
- Best opportunity to lift the above floors and walls back to their original positions.
- Engineered footing transfers the load beyond weak soils.
- Problem solved once and for all!
The IntelliJack is strong (each with an allowable load capacity of more than 24,000 pounds), adjustable, and is the only solution that addresses problems with weak soils. Lastly, the system is corrosion-resistant, not allowing mold, mildew, or rust to affect its stability.