Sinking Concrete Steps
Sturdy stairs are essential for entering and exiting your North Carolina home safely. When these steps start to sink, they not only become an eyesore but also pose serious safety hazards. This is a common problem for many homeowners and can be due to various reasons.
Tar Heel Basement Systems, a trusted name across North Carolina, is dedicated to addressing these concerns. With our rich experience and the latest technology, we provide tailored solutions to lift your sinking concrete steps, ensuring your home remains both beautiful and safe.
This page aims to help you gain insights into why concrete steps sink and how the experts at Tar Heel Basement Systems use unique solutions to restore stability and peace of mind to your home with concrete lifting.
What Are Sinking Concrete Steps?
Sinking concrete steps refer to the depressions or destabilizations observed in concrete stairs, leading to uneven surfaces and structural weakness. These steps may appear unlevel, or even tilt and move when stepped on.
A sinking staircase is more than just an aesthetic problem; it signifies deeper issues, such as soil displacement or structural imbalances. If not addressed in time, it can lead to bigger problems and potential accidents.
While inspecting your North Carolina property, you might notice other concrete issues like:
Unattended sunken concrete stairs pose major trip hazards and can tarnish your home’s appearance. Timely intervention from experts like Tar Heel Basement Systems is vital to prevent further deterioration.
What Causes Sinking Concrete Steps?
Several factors can cause your concrete steps to sink:
- Settling Soil: Soil beneath your stairs can compact, shift, or sink, causing the concrete to settle and crack, especially in areas with clay-rich soil.
- Eroding Soil: Water erosion can wash away the soil supporting the steps, undermining the concrete’s integrity.
- Tree Roots: Growing tree roots can disturb the soil, exerting pressure that can crack and lift the concrete.
- Excessive Rain and Flooding: In North Carolina, heavy rains and floods can soften the soil, causing erosion beneath the stairs.
- Freeze-Thaw Cycles: Water that gets into cracks can freeze and expand, causing further damage.
- Substandard Concrete Work: Poorly prepared or cured concrete can lead to early deterioration.
These issues not only damage your steps but can also threaten your home’s foundation, emphasizing the importance of comprehensive solutions from specialists like Tar Heel Basement Systems.
Can You Fix Sinking Concrete Steps?
Absolutely! But it’s essential to understand that temporary fixes or DIY solutions often don’t last long. The most effective method we recommend is concrete lifting, which involves injecting a special polyurethane foam beneath the concrete to lift and stabilize it. This foam expands and sets quickly, ensuring a durable solution.
How to Fix Sinking Concrete Steps
At Tar Heel Basement Systems, we employ an advanced concrete lifting method to address sinking steps effectively. Here’s how we do it:
- Assessment: Our team conducts a detailed inspection to understand the extent and cause of the damage.
- Drill Holes: Small holes are drilled into the affected concrete.
- Position Ports: Injection ports are then placed in these holes.
- Mix Foam: Our specialists mix a unique two-part polyurethane foam.
- Inject Foam: This foam is injected under the concrete.
- Lift Steps: As the foam expands, it fills gaps between the soil and concrete, lifting any sunken sections.
- Finish Up: Once stabilized, we fill the drilled holes and any cracks to ensure a smooth appearance and prevent future damage.
- Maintenance: We provide service and maintenance programs to ensure long-lasting results.
Our unique concrete lifting solution is specially designed to address the unique conditions North Carolina homes face. It’s a long-term solution to stabilize and lift sinking concrete steps.
Why Address Sinking Concrete Steps Now
Addressing sinking concrete steps sooner rather than later is crucial. Here are a few benefits you can expect:
- Prevent Further Damage: Acting quickly can prevent further deterioration and damage.
- Avoid Foundation Issues: Settling soil underneath the steps might also mean potential foundation issues that need immediate attention.
- Ensure Safety: Uneven stairs increase the risk of trips and falls.
- Maintain Property Value: A well-maintained property has better curb appeal and value.
- Warranty: Our concrete lifting solutions come with warranties, ensuring peace of mind.
With Tar Heel Basement Systems, North Carolina homeowners can ensure that their sinking steps are addressed professionally, providing a reliable, long-lasting solution.
Contact Tar Heel Basement Systems for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Elevate the appearance and safety of your home with our expert concrete lifting services. We have been serving homeowners throughout North Carolina for years, offering top-notch services and unmatched results. Contact Tar Heel Basement Systems today to schedule your free, no-obligation inspection and put an end to your sinking concrete step woes.
Our concrete lifting process typically completes within a day. The foam sets within 15 minutes, allowing us to methodically lift each slab. For a precise timeline tailored to your needs, contact Tar Heel Basement Systems for a free inspection.
You can use the steps almost immediately after the process. The polyurethane foam cures within 15 minutes, making it much more efficient than other methods. Reach out to Tar Heel Basement Systems for further details.
Absolutely! Tar Heel Basement Systems’ concrete lifting foam is a strong solution, engineered to withstand various environmental challenges. It won’t erode or harm the surrounding areas, ensuring a long-lasting repair. For more information, get in touch with our team.
When you look out your window, do you see an uneven sidewalk or cracks in your driveway? Tar Heel Basement Systems uses polyurethane foam to lift concrete slabs in Greater Greensboro. How does PolyRenewal® fix sunken concrete? It relies on the unique qualities of expanding polyurethane foam, making it: Environmentally safeAffordableWaterproof to prevent future erosionQuick […]
Which is more effective, mudjacking or polyurethane injections? Learn about our innovative approach to concrete lifting.
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 If you begin to notice cracks between the bricks of your home, uneven sidewalks, pooling water in your driveway or patio or just general concrete cracking, it’s time to take a look at repair options. Slab settlement will only continue to worsen any of these problems if it is allowed to […]
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
3400 Walsh Pky, Suite 220
Fayetteville, NC 28311
611 Summit Ave, Suite 5
Greensboro, NC 27405
208 Millbrook Rd. Suite C
Raleigh, NC 27609
3333 Air Park Road
Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526
2155 Enterprise Dr. NE
Leland, NC 28451
2910 Griffith Rd
Winston-Salem, NC 27103