Are you worried about the state of your sump pump? While sump pumps are one of the most effective waterproofing solutions to have installed, they can falter if your power goes out. Luckily, you can always have a backup battery sump pump installed – but when do you really need one?
When Do Backup Battery Pumps Come In Handy?
Sump pumps are a wonder in the world of home waterproofing. These pumps do more than just keep water from reaching the belongings you have stored in your basement. They’ll also redirect water away from your perimeter instead of letting it settle in your yard. You’ll be able to confidently transform your basement into the entertainment space of your dreams – or, at a minimum, keep your belongings safe – knowing water won’t make its way indoors.
That said, sump pumps aren’t perfect. Most rely on electricity to remain operational. This means that if the power goes out in the middle of a thunderstorm, you could see some unanticipated leakage.
What are you supposed to do in these situations? Ideally, have a backup. Sometimes, this means investing in more than one waterproofing solution. If you want to primarily rely on your sump pump, however, you’ll want to invest in a backup battery pump.
A backup battery pump works in almost the same way your sump pump does. Instead of relying on electricity, though, this pump will come with a battery pack that you’ll be responsible for restoring, when necessary. As such, you’ll be able to continually pump water out of your home even if your power goes out.
The Benefits of a Battery Backup Pump
There are some pretty obvious benefits to a backup battery pump already. Why, though, should you consider it when first installing waterproofing solutions around your home?
As it turns out, a backup battery pump can do more than just keep water out of your home. It can also:
- Cut Your Water and Electric Bills – If water makes its way into your home, it’s going to make it more difficult for you to control your home’s internal temperature. As a result, your electric bill may go up. Similarly, excess moisture in the air can threaten the structural integrity of your pipes. When you have a backup battery pump helping your sump pump keep water out of your home, you’re ensuring that your bills stay affordable, regardless of the weather.
- Keep You Updated On Sump Pump Functionality – Most battery backup sump pumps will also alert you if or when something’s gone wrong with your sump pump. It’s not always bad weather, after all, that can cause a sump pump failure. If your pump goes out, you can rely on your backup both to keep your home dry and to let you know when it’s time to call a professional contractor.
- Double-Up Your Protection – As mentioned before, there’s nothing wrong with doubling up on your home’s waterproofing. While a backup battery pump isn’t going to direct water out of your home differently than your sump pump will, installing one helps you ensure that your home will stay structurally sound, even under unpredictable circumstances.
How To Install a Battery Backup Pump
So, think you want to install a backup battery pack? The good news is that these fixtures aren’t too difficult to connect to your sump pump. If you want to install yours, all you have to do is:
- Attach the unit the wall
- Connect the appropriate cables to their terminals
- Plug the pump in
- Test your pump’s compatibility
That said, if you’ve never worked directly with your sump pump before, you may want to leave this installation process to the professionals. The contractors you hire to install your sump pump, if you don’t have one already, we will be able to fit your home with a battery backup pump and ensure all of your fixtures are appropriately attached. Working with professionals takes some of the guesswork out of installation and helps you get your hands on backup pumps that may not be available through your local hardware store.
Want to see if a backup battery sump pump will help you keep your home dry? Reach out to the professional basement and foundation repair professionals working in Winston-Salem, NC, for a free inspection and estimate on installation services.
VIEW MORE BASEMENT WATERPROOFING SOLUTIONS